Are you thinking about living in Ecuador? Does it have what you need? And what part of Ecuador will you live in? In this huge guide to our very best Ecuador expat content, you’ll learn what it’s like to live in Ecuador, the best areas to live in, and how to get settled into your new life abroad.
We moved to Ecuador as a family in July 2009. There is no question – a number of things were challenging when we first arrived. But in spite of that, we all loved it.
To help you make sense of the hundreds of posts on our site, we’ve built this page to get you started as you plan your new life in Ecuador.
On this page, we cover:
- Ecuador Expats
- Getting started: Is living in Ecuador right for me?
- Where to live in Ecuador
- Daily life in Ecuador
- Living in Ecuador as a family
- Getting settled in your new life
Here’s more about Ecuador travel
Guide to Living in Ecuador
Okay, ready to learn about living in Ecuador? Lets get started!
Curious about where to move? Here are 7 reasons that Ecuador is the best country for expats.
1. Ecuador Expats
In this huge article, we share the stories of 32 different families (some large, with children – others are single) who have moved to Ecuador and are living in the Andes or on the coast.
They talk about everything from why they moved, what they love about it and the cost of living in Ecuador.
Check it out: 32 Expats Talk About Living in Ecuador
2. Getting Started: Is Ecuador Right for Me?
If you are thinking about a move to Ecuador, there are lots of factors to consider. For every expat that chooses Ecuador as their new home – there are more who decide against it. What factors do you need to consider?
Here are some posts about living in Ecuador:
- Top 10 Reasons to Live Abroad: Guide for Future Expats
- Top Books About Traveling and Living Abroad in Ecuador
- Why Some Expats Decide Not to Live in Ecuador
- Should I Learn Spanish Before Moving to Ecuador?
- Guide to Ecuador Real Estate
3. Where to Live in Ecuador
Choosing the area you’ll live in is just as big of a decision as the country itself. Cuenca gets lots of press as an ideal retirement city but there are lots of other options. Small town Ecuador has a strong draw for many expats.
Here are some posts to help you decide on where to live in Ecuador:
- What’s it like to live in Cuenca, Ecuador?
- Best Place to Live in Ecuador? Mountains vs Coast
- Why Some Expats Decide Not to Live in Ecuador
- House Hunters International in Ecuador: All 14 Episodes
- 16 Things to Do On Your Expat Scouting Trip
4. Daily Life in Ecuador
Choosing an ideal country is one thing – settling into daily life and being happy there is something else.
We’ve been covering great things to do in Ecuador over the past few years. Everything from the Galapagos Islands to great Ecuador beaches.
Here are some posts to get you started in your planning:
- So You Want To Drive in Ecuador?
- Cost of Living in Ecuador: Haines Family in Cuenca
- What Should You Bring When Moving to Ecuador?
- Best Way to Learn Spanish: Beginners Guide
- Ultimate Guide to Ecuador Beaches
5. Living in Ecuador as a Family
Family life in Ecuador is amazing. We have been here for years and love it. There is so much to enjoy – but there is also lots that we still miss from Canada.
Moving abroad presented some unique challenges, which ultimately helped us be much closer as a family.
- Two Years In Ecuador: Why We Moved, Why We Stay
- Robbed at Gunpoint in Cuenca Ecuador (Why We Stayed)
- Dealing With Bad Days Abroad: How 7 Expat Families Cope
- My Move To Ecuador: From the Eyes of an 8-Year-Old Canadian Girl
6. Getting Settled in Your New Life
Setting up your new life in Ecuador means learning a whole new set of customs – not to mention a new language.
Although Ecuador is a relatively safe country, there are a number of different precautions that you should take – to avoid being a victim of crime. There are also concerns about water and food.
- 11 Books & Courses We Used to Learn Spanish
- Living Abroad: The Bad Days
- 7 Ways Not to Get Robbed
- US Taxes For Expats: 3 Things to Know Before Retiring in Ecuador
- Driving in Ecuador: How I Got My License, Bought a Car and Registered it
- Best Travel Health Insurance for Expats
Ecuador is home to many craft towns. Here are some of the best items produced in Ecuador.
Ready to plan your relocation? You might want to check this post: 17 Best Expat Books to Plan a Successful Relocation
Here's our favorite travel gear:
Here is the gear we love to travel with. To capture our adventure and to travel safe and comfortable.
- Action Camera: GoPro Hero10 Black
- Backpack camera mount: Peak Design Capture Clip
- Drone: DJI Mini 2 (Fly More Combo)
- Water Filtration: LifeStraw Go Water Filter Bottle
- Binoculars: Nikon 7576 Monarch Binoculars
See all our favorite stuff here: Recommended Gear